25 April 2016

April Holiday, Day 5

It was cold this morning!  Like 0° C outside the van, and I'm not sure it was much warmer in it!  "Do I have to get up?" I asked the Swan Whisperer, when I had drunk my tea, but of course I had to, and with a hot shower and the heating on for a bit, and cooking breakfast, it was not too bad. All the same, it was a cold, cold walk around Bourges this morning to look at its Cathedral, which is apparently the only Cathedral to have five naves and no transepts.  It also has an astronomical clock parked randomly on the middle of one of the naves, seemed rather odd.
We then drove up to a supermarket and I shopped for various bits and pieces while the SW got diesel, and planned our route to Clermont-Ferrand, which was across former N-roads, and a bit of motorway so that we could see the Puy de Dôme, the biggest of the chain of volcanoes in the area. It has a microwave tower on the top which rather dwarfs the original Cross that was there, a pity, I think, but they didn't ask me. We stopped en route for a cup of tea and a slice of fruit cake, and arrived in Clermont-Ferrand at about 6:30 pm. 
The trouble was, I had planned for us to park in a Lidl car park, but when we got there, no sign of any welcome for motor homes, and, worst of all, when I checked the list it wasn't on it!  I can't have been dreaming, as I had the latitude and longitude of the place, and everything. Weird!  So we came away and another list told us we could park in the university car park, so we have. Hope it is ok, and I also hope we can find daytime parking in Clermont-Ferrand tomorrow as I want to see its splendid black basalt Cathedral, which looked amazing on the way in!

No comments:

Post a Comment